“The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person’s determination.” - Tommy Lasorda
Emotional wellness involves the awareness, understanding, and acceptance of our feelings. Emotional wellness is a key element in maintaining a healthy balance in our lives and our relationships. We are constantly changing and growing throughout the life span.
Strategies for developing and maintaining emotional wellness include:
- Being mindful of thoughts and feelings
- Expressing feelings effectively
- Managing emotions and reactions
- Staying optimistic and using a positive attitude
- Coping with stress in a healthy way
- Using relaxation and self-care
- Learning and growing from experiences
- Adjusting to change and enjoying life
- Obtaining support from family, friends, or the community
- Remembering to laugh ;-)
Take this quick Emotional Wellness Quiz:
- I have a sense of fun and am able to laugh at some of the situations I find myself in?
- I don’t judge others based on my expectations of them?
- I generally face problems directly?
- I cope with change effectively?
- I have a positive self-image?
- I can speak up for my needs?
- I do not hold grudges?
- I have several people in my life that I can count on for support?
- I am generally optimistic about my self and the future?
10. I can effectively express both my positive and negative emotions?
If you answered yes to 8 or less. Keep working - there is room for improvement!
Emotional Wellness Challenge Ideas
- Engage in positive self-talk.
- Seek emotional support when necessary.
- If you like animals, adopt a pet—they love unconditionally.
- Pamper yourself regularly—take a walk, soak in a bath, get a massage, daydream.
- Choose your own healthy habit in this category.
Useful online resources:
A very good website about improving one’s emotional health: